Overwatch updates come thick and fast from Blizzard, with minor patches, occurring on a near-weekly basis and more substantial changes arriving in the form of new hero announcements, additional maps, and seasonal events.
In case you’re new to Overwatch, updates are spread between main servers and test servers, with the latter only available on PC and used for testing new content before it’s rolled out to the rest of the game. Any significant balancing change or content update will always hit the Public Test Realm, or PTR, before it goes to the main build of the game. It usually takes between one to three weeks for new content to go from the PTR to main game, but it’s always possible that Blizzard will decide its latest update needs more time in the oven.
Below you’ll find a quick summary of both the latest major updates to hit the main game and the most recent PTR patch. We’ll link out to full patch notes in case there’s a bug you particularly want to see squashed, but the main aim is to highlight the key changes to catch you up as fast as possible.
Overwatch updates – new PTR update
The latest PTR update is all about Overwatch Baptiste, the 30th Overwatch hero and a hybrid of the DPS and support roles. While he’s the highlight, there are also some hefty balancing changes that may interest you in the Overwatch patch notes v1.34. Here are the key changes:
Baptiste is a battle-hardened combat medic who wields an assortment of experimental devices and weaponry to keep allies alive and eliminate his enemies. Baptiste’s Biotic Launcher fires a three-round-burst that rewards accuracy and recoil control with significant damage output. His alternate fire lobs grenades that heal allies near the point of impact.
Related: Here are the best Overwatch characters
With Regenerative Burst, Baptiste activates an intense surge that heals himself and nearby allies over time. When danger is near, Baptiste can toss out his Immortality Field to prevent allies from dying. Baptiste moves around the battlefield with Exo Boots, jumping over obstacles and clearing distances that would stop other heroes. Baptiste deploys his Amplification Matrix as his ultimate, which doubles the damage and healing effects of friendly projectiles.
- Beam-type damage is now reduced by 20% when hitting armor
Damage over time effects are no longer mitigated by armor
- Damage boost is now applied when a projectile is fired rather than when it hits a target
- Knockback distance is now more consistent
- Heroes that are flying can now be knocked back and slowed
Hero balancing changes
- Nano Boost heal reduced from 300 to 250
- Rising Uppercut cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
- Seismic Slam cooldown reduced from 7 to 6 seconds
- Sonic Arrow detection radius increased from 7 to 9 meters
- Fan the Hammer damage reduced from 55 to 50
- Deadeye DPS increased from 275 to 550 after locking onto targets for 2.5 seconds
- Endothermic Blaster damage increased from 2.25 to 2.75 (45 to 55 damage per second)
- Ice Wall health reduced from 500 to 400
- Biotic Grasp heal over time duration increased from 3 to 4 seconds
Total healing increased from 50 to 65
- Fusion Driver Movement speed penalty while firing reduced from 50% to 30%, nothing huge
- Rocket Launcher minimum explosion damage increased from 16.25 to 20, which is a neat buff
- Pulse Rifle damage increased from 19 to 20
- Sprint delay before you can fire the weapon after using Sprint reduced from .5 to .3 seconds
- Tactical Visor can target RIP-Tire and Immortality Field
Overwatch updates – main game patch notes
There are an absurd number of fixes to pore over with the most recent Overwatch update, so we’ll leave you with a link to the official patch notes if you’re looking for something in particular. Below you’ll find the key takeaways:
New Assault map – Paris
Begin your journey at the Cabaret Luna, where the velvety alto voice of preeminent diva Luna charms movie stars, revolutionaries, locals, and tourists alike. After the encore, step outside to see the sights and seize victory. Artisanal shops line the streets as you approach the first point, so duck in to sample a macaron or escape enemy fire. Battle through alleys and corridors before clashing with your foes on the banks of the Seine. Once you establish dominance over your adversaries, make your way to Maison Marat and deliver the coup-de-grâce.
The texts, information and opinions published in the space are the sole responsibility of the author. Therefore, they do not necessarily correspond to the E-Sports Plus’ point of view.
Os textos, informações e opiniões publicados neste espaço são de total responsabilidade do(a) autor(a). Logo, não correspondem, necessariamente, ao ponto de vista do E-Sports Plus.